Many hard-to-recycle items like electronics, books and scrap metal can be recycled at three Kansas City locations.
Bridging The Gap operates the Kansas City, MO recycling centers from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Wednesdays through Saturdays at:
- Deramus – 4707 Deramus Ave.
- South – 5200 E. Red Bridge Road.
- North – Pleasant Valley Park, 5601 NE Pleasant Valley Road
Acceptable items include:
- Aluminum foil including pie and roasting pans should be crumpled into 2″ balls
- Clothing (in any condition), fabric, shoes, drapes, towels, sheets, throw rugs, stuffed animals (Red Bridge location only)
- Scrap metal including chain link fence, chicken wire, sheet metal, aluminum window frames, bike frames, bike parts, garden tools, nuts, bolts, screws, nails, metal office furniture, springs, electrical wire and bottle caps
- Cans – steel and aluminum
- Books, including hard and soft cover, encyclopedias and catalogs
- Small electronics including cell phones, iPods, MP3 players, digital cameras, GPS units, e-readers, tablets and matching chargers/adapters. The Red Bridge Center also accepts laptops with adapters.
- Corrugated cardboard
- Glass bottles and jars including glass candle jars, vases, drinking glasses and votives
- Small household items in working condition, including kitchenware, house ware, toys and sporting goods
- Magazines, catalogs, newspapers, brown paper sacks, packing paper
- Office paper, file folders, envelopes, brochures
- Clean, reusable packing peanuts, bubble wrap and foam wrap (Red Bridge location only)
- Paperboard, paper towel rolls, phone books
- Plastic containers including #1 – #7
- Toner and inkjet cartridges from printers or photocopiers
Aluminum foil, cans, books, printed materials, cardboard, glass and plastic packaging must be clean and dry, and all plastic containers must have lids and caps attached. No hazardous waste containers are accepted.
For more information on recycling or volunteering at a recycling center, visit Bridging The Gap. If you have items not listed here, check RecycleSpot.org site or call Mid-America Regional Council Solid Waste Management District at 816-474-8326.
Photo: Bridging The Gap