Discover greener ideas for your landscape, get a free tree seedling and bring in soil for testing at the Johnson County Healthy Yards Expo this Saturday, April 6.
The free expo will feature businesses and non-profit organizations that can help Johnson County and surrounding area residents be more environmentally friendly in their lawn and garden care. It will be held from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Shawnee Civic Center, 13817 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS.
The event will include:
- A free tree seedling, while supplies last
- Native Plant Sale of more than 100 native varieties
- Native plant sale with more than 1,000 locally grown and organic plants
- Information on city cost-share programs for rain garden and rain barrels
- Speakers on native plants, composting, organic gardening and edible landscaping
- Expert advice on gardening and plant cultivation from Johnson County K-State Research and Extension Master Gardeners and local plant societies
- Educational activities for children, including a Stone Lion Puppet show
Johnson County residents will be able to get a free soil test provided by Johnson County Stormwater Management and Johnson County Extension. Visit the Johnson County Extension Office website http://www.johnson.k-state.edu/lawn-garden/soil-testing/free-soil-test.html to learn how to take a soil sample to bring to the expo. There is a limit of one test per Johnson County household.
Check the Healthy Yards Expo for more information.