By Katie Pohlman
Spend some time outside with friends and family this fall, and pick your own apples, pumpkins and chestnuts.
Visiting pick-your-own farms is a great way to ensure your food is local. Many farms make the picking more fun with hayrides and farm animals. Here are some farms to visit when you want to get your hands a little dirty in the pumpkin patch or apple orchard.
- Carolyn’s Country Cousins Pumpkin Patch, Liberty, MO; 816-781-9196
- Johnson Farms Plants & Pumpkins, Belton, MO; 816-331-1067
- Louisburg Cider Mill, Louisburg, KS; 913-837-5202
- Pendleton’s Kaw Valley Country Market, Lawrence, KS; 785-843-1409
- Schaake’s Pumpkin Patch, Lawrence, KS; 785-843-2459
- Schwinn Produce Farm, Leavenworth, KS; 913-682-8356
Apples and pumpkins
- Alldredge Orchards, Platte City, MO; 816-330-3448
- Cider Hill Family Orchard, Kansas City, KS; 913-721-2507
- Schweizer Orchards, St. Joseph, MO; 816-232-3999
- Sibley Orchards & Cider Mill, Sibley, MO; 816-650-5535
- Weston Red Barn Farm, Weston, MO; 816-386-5437
- 86th Street Orchard, Topeka, KS; 785-246-1442
- Happy Valley Farm, De Soto, KS; 913-706-0370
- John & Linda’s Fruit and Berry Farm, Bates City, MO; 816-690-6293
- Wagon Wheel Orchard, Gardner, KS; 913-893-6050
- Chestnut Charlie’s, Lawrence, KS; 785-841-8505
Featured photo, Apples ©www.tOrange.us. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.