The Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) Solid Waste Management District announces its fiscal year 2014 call for grant applications for waste reduction, reuse, and recycling projects. Local governments, businesses, nonprofits, schools and individuals are eligible to apply for funds.
All projects must be located within the MARC Solid Waste Management District, which includes Cass, Clay, Jackson, Platte and Ray counties in Missouri. The district receives funds for the grant program from the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.
The Solid Waste Management District has identified the following priorities to address specific needs in the region, although applications need not be limited to these focus areas:
- Drop-off recycling — Projects that expand or enhance existing drop-off recycling centers or establish new drop-off centers, with an emphasis on including hard-to-recycle materials.
- Organics Management — Projects that develop cooperative yard-waste drop-off locations, with an emphasis on food waste, green waste and planning for storm debris management.
- Special venue recycling — Projects that establish recycling programs at special venues such as theaters, county fairgrounds, parks and business districts. Projects should consider including interactive educational opportunities at these venues.
- Construction and Demolition Waste — Projects that effectively address the diversion of construction and demolition materials. Addressing residential services is encouraged.
The district will host three informational sessions to explain the grant objectives and the application process at the MARC Conference Center, 600 Broadway, Suite 200, Kansas City, Mo.:
- Tuesday, June 4, 9:30–11:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, June 12, 1:00–2:30 p.m.
- Friday, June 14, 9:30–11:00 a.m.
In addition, a grant workshop will be held on June 20, from 1:30–4:30 p.m., to discuss the application and project ideas in more detail. RSVPs are not necessary. District staff will also be available to meet individually with those who cannot attend an information session.