If you own an electric vehicle and park in a downtown Kansas City, MO city lot, you can now plug in and charge your vehicle for free, thanks to a partnership between the city of Kansas City, MO and Kansas City Power & Light (KCPL).
Electric vehicle (EV) charging stations have recently been installed at six downtown, city-owned parking lots and garages. The charging stations are designed to charge a vehicle from 25-percent battery capacity to full charge in four to six hours. Each site has three to six charging stations that are each capable of charging two vehicles at a time.
The new charging stations are located at the following facilities:
- JE Dunn Parking Garage (1001 Locust St.)
- Wolf Parking Garage (1120 Oak St.)
- Cosentino’s Parking Garage (1220 Walnut St.)
- President’s Hotel Parking Garage (1398 Main St.)
- KC Live Parking Garage (151 E. 13th St.)
- 300 Wyandotte Parking Garage
The city plans to add additional charging stations at Loose Park, the Kansas City Zoo, Starlight Theater, the Health Department, the Arts District and the Municipal Auditorium Plaza parking lots and garages.
EV owners can use the stations free of charge until 2017.